- Attended Central Michigan University (BS - Business Administration) and University of Utah David Eccles School of Business (MBA)
- Currently the General Manager of Hotel Ivy, A Luxury Collection Hotel in Minneapolis
- Spare time - Dana is trying to find her spare time!
- Happy hometown memory - The feeling of "inclusion"
- Favorite place to see back home - Main Street Manistique. Lots of memories!
- Activities while in MAS - Basketball, softball, cheerleading
- Unique accomplishments as an adult - With an entrepreneurial spirit, Dana has owned several successful businesses from construction to restaurants and wedding consulting. Within the hospitality industry, Dana has received awards for sales and marketing excellence with Ritz-Carlton and Waldorf Astoria Hotels and Resorts and has been selected as the guest author for the September feature of Hotel business Review.
- Why is anything possible coming from Manistique? Anything is possible because you are responsible for creating your future. Thought breeds reality. The first step is education. Education is freedom - the freedom you choose for your future.
- Class of 1988. Went to St. Norbert, then finished bachelors at Siena Heights. Rebecca got her masters at NMU, then went to Michigan State Univeristy Medical School. Did general surgery and plastics at providence Hospital in Southfield MI. Then traveled to New York, South Carolina and France to study microvascular reconstruction and lymphedema treatment. Rebecca currently is in practice in Novi Michigan out of the Providence Ascension Systems.
- In her spare time - Is becoming a private pilot, is a bee keeper, does construction projects and plays music - piano, accordion, and ukulele.
- Happy Manistique Memory - Being in the Pom Pom squad.
- Favorite place to see in Manistique - The Lighthouse
- Activities while in Manistique - Pom Pom, The Naturals, Student Council, Drama Club, Plays, Worked at the Drug Store, was the valedictorian
- Rebecca pioneered the twin to twin lymph node transfer. She led the way in the State of Michigan for lymph node transfers and one of the first dozen in the United States. She is one of a limited number of surgeons in Michigan that is capable of performing DIEP flap breast reconstruction.
- Why is anything possible coming from Manistique? Coming from the Upper Peninsula makes you unique. You have a different perspective, and sometimes being from the UP is the only thing that stands you out from other people, and sometimes that's what gets you in the door. I found that being from the Upper Peninsula was something that helped me when I was applying to medical school, and contribute the fact that being from Manistique might be a core reason of why I do what I do today.
James Studinger, Class 1990
- In his spare time - Loves to spend time with his wife and two boys. Competes in Triathlons including Ironmans. Climbed Mt. Rainier, ran the "Rim to Rim to Rim (down, across, up, down, back across and up the Grand Canyon), enjoys swimfishing, hiked through the UP from Miners Beach to Thompson, canoed through the UP from Autrain Lake Superior to Little Bay de Noc Lake Michigan.
- Happy Manistique Memory - playing hockey
- Favorite place to see in Manistique - the woods
- Activities in Manistique - worked at Nordens Groceries, played hockey, fished, hunted and probably took too many laps
- Authored Wealth Is a Choice, is a keynote speaker on financial/economic topics, frequent guest for Fox News on financial segments
- Why is anything possible coming from Manistique? You realize when you step out of the UP that you are unique. Being from the Upper Peninsula and a small town in particular gives you a different perspective and relationship with people than you'd get in the city. Financial upcoming has very little to do with the money a person might make later in life. So there's no setback to wealth potential. In fact, small town life naturally encourages people to have experiences critical to success. Things don't come easy for us. We don't expect handouts. We're strong. We're compassionate. We endure. We act.
Back to Manistique Alumni Home Page
Tim Magnusson - Class 1990
- Tim attended Central Michigan University (BS - Business Administration), Thunderbird School of Global Management (MBA)
- He is the Founding Partner of Garda Capital Partners (Asset Management Industry)
- Spare time - Tim spends time with his family, classic cars, enjoying the outdoors
- Happy hometown memory - Everything! I loved Growing up in the UP.
- Favorite place to see back home - Gulliver Lake
- Activities while in MAS - Wrestling team, student council
- Unique accomplishments as an adult - Completed 11 marathons including the Boston Marathon. Started a successful Global Asset Management business from scratch with two other partners.
- Why is anything possible? Everyone is born with gifts and talents. you just have to discover them and harness them, and importantly, be willing to work harder than anyone else to achieve your goals. If you refuse to give up, and you refuse to let anyone else out-hustle you, you can achieve anything. if you ask for it, you will get the help you need to get where you want to go.
Back to Manistique Alumni Home Page